There's a few simple rules that one should follow when naming a child. Nothing special, and very easy to remember. This seems to be lost on many modern parents.
- No nouns. Yes, this includes names like Summer, Rain, Apple and the rest. If you don't know what a noun is, you shouldn't be having kids.
- No misspellings just to be unique. When your child is in Kindergarten, the teacher won't be able to tell your Maydeysson from that other Maddisyn.
- You are not Welsh. There is nothing wrong with using vowels - and if you don't know what a vowel is, you shouldn't be having kids either. Naming your child Dystynyyny instead of Destiny doesn't make her Welsh. Also, refer rule (1 and 2).
- Check a list of top 100 baby names in your area and try and refrain from using names in the top 10. Also refer rule (2), if its misspelt its still the same name.
If you're still stuck with thinking of a name, here's a few helpful links to baby name generators to get you started, and while you're at it check your names here. If you have found a particularly bad name, add it to the bad names collection.
- Conventional modern baby name generator. Its supposed to be tongue-in-cheek but its so incredibly good at generating baby names (as per rule violations above) I had to include it.
- Celebrity baby name generator. It is also supposed to be a joke, but people actually use these names!
- Random baby name generator, can split by cultural region
- Surrealist baby name generator
- Random baby name Genie
- Random baby names with hints from your favourite things
- Character name generator
- Hobbit name generator
- Many more generators for baby and fantasy names, room descriptions etc are here
Top geek/nerd baby names
Brand your child a geek (or, at least the child of a geek) from the day they are born by selecting from this brief list of classic geeky names.